Movieland Mystery Photo — From Our Readers [Updated]

Feb. 1, 2011, Mystery Photo
  Photos courtesy of Matthew Harris

[Update: Please congratulate Steve Stoliar for identifying this mystery group as the T-Bones! Nice research, Steve!]

t-bones

[Update: Here’s a frame grab from YouTube.]

Here’s a series of mystery photos from reader Matthew Harris. He says they “are photos taken on the set of the TV  show, "Hullabaloo." I have a pal that was a musician on the show & he  snapped these, but has no idea who they are.”

And yes, the first thing I thought of was the Beatles “butcher” cover on "The Beatles Yesterday and Today." Although I’m the right vintage, I never watched “Hullabaloo” or “Shindig,” so I’m not much help.

Feb. 1, 2011, Mystery Photo

Feb. 1, 2011, Mystery Photo

This entry was posted in broadcasting, Rock 'n' Roll, Television. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Movieland Mystery Photo — From Our Readers [Updated]

1. Steve Stoliar says:

It could very well be a short-lived group called The T-Bones (hence the butchered-meats theme, the Beatles notwithstanding). That group morphed into Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds (“Don’t Pull Your Love Out”) in the early ’70s. That’s my guess. They guested on Hullabaloo in January 1966.

2. Steve Stoliar says:

Yes. This number is on YouTube (in blurry b&w). It’s the instrumental hit “No Matter What Shape Your Stomach’s In,” which began life as a memorable Alka-Seltzer commercial. So this is The T-Bones performing their big hit!

3. Rick says:

that looks like Gary Lewis & the Playboys but I have no idea what song it could be

4. Mark Heimback-Nielsen says:

Looks like Gary Lewis and The Playboys

5. Chris Morales says:

Fascinating! Hope that you publish more…

6. Carmen says:

Nancy Sinatra

7. Arye Michael Bender says:

“Shindig” and “Hullabaloo” were as different as night and day. “Shindig” was a class act, produced by Jack Good — who was the first to put the Beatles on the air in his native England. The show also had a house band that cooked, and Phil Spector was part of the production team as a musical consultant. “Hullabaloo”, and to a lesser degree “Shivaree” (the local version of ‘Shindig’), were knock offs intended to cash in on the success of “Shin”.
    Here’s an intriguing note: During the first two years of ‘Shindig’, the Rolling Stones were considered to be a second-tier act and not worthy of being on the show. Instead, they were often booked on ‘Shivaree’, where second-tier was its first.

8. Wilson Smith says:

Since the drummer is up front, rather than in the back, I would guess that it’s Jerry Lewis’s son, drummer Gary, of Gary Lewis and the Playboys.

9. Steve Stoliar says:

No. Really. Honestly. Seriously. It’s not Gary Lewis & The Playboys, no matter how many times that’s suggested. It’s The T-Bones. Click on the youtube link I posted earlier and you can hear them lip-synch (can you lip-synch an instrumental???) their hit, “No Matter What Shape Your Stomach’s In.”

10. lrh says:

And remember that Gary Lewis (mostly) used a trap set with two bass drums.

11. jeff p says:

Remember….Teri Garr was a Hullabalo dancer!

12. Cathy says:

Since the drummer is in front, is it the Dave Clark 5?

13. Arye Michael Bender says:

Often wondered – seriously – how anyone in the Lewis household could have survived Jerry’s maniacal ego.

14. Mary Mallory says:

Steve is 100% right. That clip is them on this exact set.

15. normadesmond says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
    Steve, you are fabulous for solving this and so is Larry for the post. I cannot tell you how thrilled I am, really! Now all we need to do is name the girl in the pink and I can die happy.

16. Steve Stoliar says:

Norma – I don’t really wish to be held responsible for your death, but there was a young, blond actress/singer on that episode of Hullabaloo named Judi Rolin who sang two songs. Apparently she did a lot of Broadway and youth-oriented shows. Can’t guarantee that’s her and not one of the background dancers taking a break, but she was the only female guest star on that particular show.

17. Stacia says:

Did they guest on “Hullabaloo” or on an episode of “Tienerklanken” titled “Hullabaloo”? I ask because of their listing on the IMDb, as well as a few other “Tienerklanken” videos I found online had similar sets. But maybe a lot of music shows in the 1960s looked like this. This is the IMDb listing:
    Just for kicks, here’s the “Shivaree” episode on YouTube:

18. normadesmond says:

Thanks again Steve(!!!), the photos I find of Judi could be her, but maybe not. I’ve located a real estate agent that may be her and will post updates.

Leave a Reply. Note: Your IP is logged with your comment so a fake name and email address are useless.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )