Here’s some fun: I’m combining Christmas past with the mystery photo.
Update: We have a winner. Jack Hannah correctly guessed Santa as Dodger pitching coach Red Adams. Nice going!
Photograph by Harry Chase / Los Angeles Times
Who are Santa’s helpers in this 1975 photo? Bonus points: Identify Santa.
- Davey Lopes and Ron Cey from the Dodgers (Chris Morales). Absolutely.
As for Santa: (Update–this is a tough question. I put it in as a throwaway gag, but people–even my co-workers at The Times–have become obsessed with whom this might be, far more than I ever imagined. Clue: He was part of the Dodger organization).
- “Another member of the magical infield, Steve Garvey?” (Three people) Sorry, no.
- Sandy Koufax? (Sorry, no).
- Billy Russell? (Interesting guess. But no).
- Vin Scully? (Interesting guess. But alas, no).
- Mike Marshall? (No).
- Steve Yeager? (No).
- Andy Messersmith? (And, alas, no).
- Ron Perranoski? (A great guess! But no).
- Walter Alston (two people). Great guess! But no.
- George Allen? (No.)
- Charlie Hough? (Alas, no).
- Kent McCord? (Sorry, no way).
- Fred Claire? (Sorry, no).
- Tom Paciorek? (Alas, no).
- Police Chief Daryl F. Gates (Not even!)
- Ross Porter? (Sorry, no).
- Wes Parker? (So sorry, no).
- Jerry Doggett? (I hate to say this, but no).
- Don Sutton? (Sorry, no).
- Al Campanis? (Sorry. But no).
- Monte Basgall? (Good guess. But no).
- Jim Murray? (Not even).
- John Ramsey? (Alas, no).
- Peter O’Malley? (Sorry).
- Walter O’Malley? (Good guess. But no).
- Buzzie Bavasi? (Interesting guess…. But… No..).
- Casey Stengel? (I think not).
- Tommy Lasorda? (Sorry, no).
- Tommy John? (Sorry, no).