LAPD Scrapbook: Rodger Young Village

Rodger Young Village

I stumbled across this photo in going through the LAPD scrapbooks at the city archives. This is Rodger Young Village, built for returning veterans due to the acute housing shortage in Los Angeles. This site is now occupied by the Autry museum.

This entry was posted in 1946, LAPD, Parks and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to LAPD Scrapbook: Rodger Young Village

1. Benito says:

Recently saw “Miss Grant Takes Richmond” [1949] on cable. This comedy revolves around the acute postwar housing shortage, and how Lucille Ball and Bill Holden make it worse, before making it better. PS Those look like really lousy Quonset huts.

• lmharnisch says:

During World War II and after, the University of Arizona erected Quonset huts on the old polo field and later on they became “housing” for married students, called Polo Village. I’m sure they were all torn down years ago. I still see Quonset huts in the L.A. area, but not terribly often.

2. Sherry Ramirez says:

I spent my first couple of years at Roger Young Village after I was born in Glendale, California. My parents then bought a Veterans house in North Hollywood for $2,500. And wondered if they could afford the $25.00 house payments.

3. John Scanlon says:

I remember at the age of four my first day moving into our hut. I wanted to help but was told to stay out of the way and that would be help enough. Nothing but good memories of the village and the people who made it a great place to live.

• lmharnisch says:

Thanks for sharing!

• brandy says:

my name is brandy hanna i lived in rodger young village from 1947 to 1952 with my father john hanna, my mother marjory and brothers jeffrey and joe, and sister kevin our address was 1169. my dad was just back from the south pacific. my older brother jeff and i played all over the park. my dad worked at the village market. i loved growing up there.