No Carole Lombard Death Scene Photos Here!

image

One of the oddest experiences in running the L.A. Daily Mirror is to see how many people stumble in while searching for “snuff” pictures of Carole Lombard, who died in a 1942 plane crash. Not a day goes by that I don’t get searches for “carole lombard death photos” or something similar.  I have never seen any of these pictures, I don’t know if they exist and if they do, I absolutely would NOT run them. People who surf the Net looking for morgue pictures or body shots — whether it’s Lombard or Elizabeth Short or anybody else — should get a life.

This entry was posted in Film, Hollywood, Obituaries, Photography and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to No Carole Lombard Death Scene Photos Here!

1. Eve says:

I remember someone on eBay selling “Carole Lombard Plane Wreckage!” a few years ago, and I think there is still a creepy YouTube video tour of the site of the crash, with much wreckage still in place (I mean, really, how and why would they remove it?).

2. Zabadu says:

Considering that all that was identifiable was a ring, you’d most likely only be looking at a charred corpse, if that. There apparently is a site where you can view dead bodies. I don’t understand the attraction, but then the internet is full of crap anyway.

3. Sam Flowers says:

Yesterday’s news said someone was selling on line Dorner death photos. Shows you that there is a morbid tendency in some people.

4. Jo Anne says:

Thank you so much for not dealing in the sickness anyone who would want to see a person so full of life like that is not mentally stable to me! Even though she died before I was born and I did not discover her until I was a teen she feels alive now when you see her films or read books about her.

5. Stacia says:

A few years ago, a classic film blog I went to mentioned a controversy about the crash. They didn’t provide links, but in looking it up I found references to someone once claiming they found Carole’s wedding ring, the one Gable spent so much time trying to find. The person claiming this was appropriately scolded, and I assume it was a hoax anyway.

6. vp19 says:

I’ve run very little on the crash in my 5 1/2 years running “Carole & Co.” (http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/), and I certainly would not run any picture of her dead. At my site, we prefer to focus on how Lombard lived.