Movieland Mystery Photo [Updated]

2011_1226_mystery_photo

1206 N. Kingsley Drive

Photo: 1206 N. Kingsley Drive via Google’s Street View.

I was watching a certain film the other day and what should flash by but a California driver’s license. Google would reveal the answer, so the character’s name has been snipped. Who lived at 1206 N. Kingsley Drive?

As Arye Michael Bender realized, this is the 1944 film “Murder, My Sweet.” This is the driver’s license of a white male, a blonde with blue eyes, who is 5-11 and weighs 145 pounds. That excludes Philip Marlowe (Dick Powell), Jules Amthor (Otto Kruger) and Moose Malloy (Mike Mazurki).

'Murder, My Sweet'
It is, in fact, the license of the character Lindsay Marriott, played by Douglas Walton. Congratulations to Greg Clancey, LC and Mary Mallory for figuring it out.

What interested me about the license is that Elizabeth Short’s father, Cleo, lived on Kingsley. At first I thought it would be a great coincidence if they used the address of the apartment house where Cleo Short was living in 1947. But they didn’t.

In the film, the shot isn’t on the screen long enough to be read, which is probably why the prop master used an actual address.

'Murder, My Sweet'
Also in the film, Marlowe uses the Los Angeles City Directory (notice the edge printing!) last published in 1942, to look up the address of Jessie Florian.

Jessie Florian 3744 W. 54th

This is a fake page inserted into the directory. But the house would have been here.

3744 W. 54th, Jessie Florian

3744 W. 54th Street as shown in Google’s Street View.

This entry was posted in Architecture, Film, Hollywood, Location Sleuth and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Movieland Mystery Photo [Updated]

1. Mary Mallory says:

Jack Mulhall?

2. Steve Smith says:

Joe Brody? (The Big Sleep)

3. ‘Murder, My Sweet’ is the film. I believe it was where Philip Marlow lived.

4. Gary Martin says:

Alan Ladd as Johnny Morrison in The Blue Dahlia.

5. Greg Clancey says:

Lindsay Marriott

6. LC says:

Lindsay Marriott played by Douglas Walton

7. Rogét-L.A. says:

How about Moose Malloy (just because it’s a great character name)?

8. steve hines says:

bret morrison

9. Harry Marnell says:

in REAL life, in 1942 the residents there were John & Josephine Girard, John being listed as a branch manager for Standard Stations.

The building on the lot at 1206 N Kingsley today was built in 1958:

10. Don Danard says:

Well, the driver’s license states the person was born in 1912 so in 1944 that would make her 32 so is it Claire Trevor in “Murder, My Sweet”?

11. dewey webb says:

Jules Amthor (Otto Kruger)? If it is him, he shaved more than 10 years off his age.

12. Mary Mallory says:

Dick Powell (Marlowe) in MURDER MY SWEET.

13. dewey webb says:

Okay, perhaps this is a tricky question. Maybe it’s the name of a character who doesn’t actually appear in film but is nevertheless pertinent to plot? Like a suspect who has either taken a powder or is dead?

14. Mary Mallory says:

The Lindsay Marriott character played by Douglas Walton?

15. I wonder if Lindsay knew Bronco Billy Anderson?

16. Mary Mallory says:

Are you sure it’s a fake page, or did they just insert the address? Radford and Farmdale are actual streets in Studio City, and Seward is obviously a real street in Hollywood.

• lmharnisch says:

@Mary: I checked my 1942 L.A. city directory (I have one, doesn’t everybody?) so it’s a fake page. If I have time I’ll check the old city directories online at LAPL.

17. Murder, My Sweet was, of course, made at RKO in 1944. I find it interesting that Max Aronson (Bronco Billy Anderson) lived at 1206 N. Kingsley and was right next door at Paramount just a couple years earlier filming a Henry Aldrich vehicle. Could be some weird cross-pollination with the prop departments.

• lmharnisch says:

@Michael: How did you track Bronco Billy to 1206 N. Kingsley?

• Wish I had a good story but the long and the short of it was I actually remembered a Black Dahlia connection to Kingsley Drive and was rooting around for that a few minutes before I realised that would be South Kingsley. Drat. So I googled 1206 N. Kingsley and scanned through several pages (three or four) before I picked up the address in a compilation of western actor’s old residences. Noah Berry, Jr and Charles Starett and then just below, 1206 N. Kingsley and Max Aronson. I knew he’d been out of pictures for a while by 1944 but I pulled up his IMBd page just the same and found he’d done a little walk-on for Jackie Cooper in 1941 at Paramount.